Sunday, April 29, 2012

Like Father Like Son.

(Year 1979): As far as I can go down the memory lane. I have hardly any memories of our road trips, but one trip that I have some vague memories of, was this one that we did I guess in late 70's. When my dad again got transferred from a small town called Jaisinagar (Sagar) to bhopal. I am sure cause of those genes and blood - it excites me to go everywhere as long as I can go Driving. I got that one thing too from my dad other than love for western music and movies.
Dad and mom got all the stuff packed and shipped to our new location and decided to do a road trip on my dads scooter. That was I think a 1964 Bajaj. Now when I look back and talk to them about it - it actually sounds unbelievable. Never knew my dad was that adventurous. Everything except his music system which as per my mom "was his heartbeat" he packed and shipped. He actually tied the two big speakers of his Phillips Record Player (LP) to the spare wheel on the back of the scooter - well packed and covered for safety. My elder two brothers were already picked by my uncle as obviously we all couldn't have done that trip of around 155 KMS in a scooter together. I was only 3- 4 years old hence had to be with them.

We set off right after our break fast and with very heavy heart my mom said good bye to our nice house on the basement was the bank where my dad used to work. It wasn't a very big branch or something. I remember we had to climb down a huge flight of stairs to see him and hand him over the lunch boxes and I could never forget that guard posted on the main door with a huge double barrel gun on his shoulder. His mustache was huge and although he always smiled looking at me but it was a terrifying feeling going close to him.

My dad was wearing a helmet with big goggles inside them as if he was actually going to fly the scooter. He was looking very funny. Mom was ready too in her bell bottom pants and a hat on the head. She looked sweet. I loved standing in front on the foot rest holding the handle of the scooter and my dad allowed me to press the horn button from time to time. It was great fun seeing the open road and oncoming traffic. Although my dad was a very conscious rider - he hardly ever went above the speed of 50 KMPH. - I liked that flickering needle on speedometer showing how fast we were going.

As we kept going straight on the road suddenly due to the speed and wind my moms hat flew above her head and we had to take a break so she could run back and pick up her hat, which was lying on the mid of the road. As we parked on side of the road and mom went back to pick it up. A mischievous monkey dropped from a tree and picked it and vanished up on a tree quickly. That was fun. They tried their level best to shout and throw some pebbles on him but he just won't budge and we decided to move on without it.

As usual I was too young to remember much and was about to doze off standing in front when my dad realized and sent me back on mothers lap to sleep, while he rode all the way. I slept peacefully on my mothers lap as they kept talking about the things loudly on the way to my granny's home. We almost reached after lunch hours and my grand father wasn't too happy with dads decision of riding all the way but he was glad that we made it on time. All my uncles were admiring his ride and dad stood right there with his scooter proud like a hero who returned from war after killing all the enemies.

I guess it was the journey of a life time for me and the one that I could never forget. That I believe inspires me to do my road trips today and I so much love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment